Friday, December 24, 2010

The end of the week before Christmas


Gosh it's been a year. 

As each year draws to a close I find myself going faster and faster, working longer hours (when they're there to be worked), and - as Mr Einstein said would happen when we approach the speed of light - noticing everything around me melt into a blur.

This used to stress me a lot.  But this year I've finally come to realise that, what ever the race is for, it suddenly comes to an abrupt halt on Christmas Day, when the only work to do is Dishes. I know I've said it myself on a few occasions in the past, but this year when anyone said "Oh I'm so over Christmas!" to me, I found myself trying to jolly them out of it, or distract them onto a  more positive thought. 

There's just nothing like that release of tension when Christmas Day hits.  For me it's the beginning of a week when you realise that no matter how well or how badly the year has gone, there's no changing it. You've done all you can, and, thanks to the fact that we're  here in the southern hemisphere, the time has come to take a moment to sit in the sun and take a breath.  Even the thought of working the days between the holidays seems easier to me when I look at it from the near side of Christmas Lunch.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a really messy year. Things haven't gone well.  It's been emotional at times (just everyday stuff, but lots of it). And it's ending on a cliffhanger.  I don't know how next year will go.  It could be really bad too.

But at the same time I've made acquaintances in a couple of different places which could lead on to wonderful things.  I've learned a bit about people, and I've had ideas I want to follow through on.

So what's on the next page?

I'll have a look after lunch...

Merry Christmas,
the Gedle

P.S.  If I manage a poem this Sunday I'll try to make it a bit more jolly

2 comments:

  1. I hope you're having a wonderful Christmas and all the best for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Sue, it wasn't supposed to sound as gllony or self-centred as I suppose you could read into it. We had a lovely day at my wife's Mum's house with a walk on the beach included... and I made a point (quietly to myself) of doing the dishes.
    I hope yours was grand too

    ReplyDelete