Sunday, December 19, 2010

Another Sunday,

I'm extemporizing here, because I have nothing on hand ready. This is an idea that has kept coming back at me on and off for about seven years now, this will probably not be the last time I attack it.

Here goes then...

Fish

Would you take to the water with a wizened old man
rowing in a leaky scow
To the spot where beacon's in line with the cleft
of the hill you can see from the prow?

Would you wrinkle your nose at the sweet rotten smell
of the blood-slimy bait that he cuts,
And prick your fingers as they slip on the hook
as you try to make the bait stay put?

Would you swallow as the waves of a passing barge
lift your stomach to your throat as they rock
while you wait with your finger on a just tight line
for the kahawai to strike with a shock?

Will you thrill to the nibble on the just tight cord;
to the snapper's tugging morse code bites?
Will you smooth down his spines as you grab him from the line
and grip him as he wriggles and he fights?

Do you have it within you to take his life
with a blow from a rowlock or a truncheon
and carry him home in a sea-wet sack
to set him on the table for your luncheon?

Or,

Do you just find it much more expedient
to look on the supermarket rack;
much cleaner, and nice and convenient
to buy your fish crumbed in a pack?


If you need a clue it was inspired by (but the thought is not exclusive to) the difference between mainstream commercial recorded, and live local music

Happy Christmas
The Gedle

4 comments:

  1. I know I know (or rather I just checked) you don't row a scow, but I don't lie "dinghy" and can't think of a rhyme for "tub"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your poem. It could apply to a lot more than the music, but for me the fish illustration was great. I like the idea of catching, gathering your own food, but the supermarket is just so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha.. I'm really proud of that one (I might be speaking too soon) usually with a poem I write it down and then go back three weeks later and completely change it.
    That's how we used to fish when I was a kid, only the wizened old man was my Mum and we had a seagull outboard... and I used to complain a lot louder about seasickness.
    Yeah it's about anything you can get prepacaged or else go and find yourself, and I hope it suggests advantages and disadvantages to both.

    How's things? not so much on the blog lately with christmas looming?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your Mum doesn't read that! Wizened old man indeed!
    The writing is taking a bit of a backseat with Christmas coming and the blogging too. I'm ruminating a post at the moment. it might be up by tonight.

    ReplyDelete