Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Christchurch

Just yesterday morning I was listening to a news report about how people put out of their homes by last years earthquake in Canterbury were coming to the end of the accomodation cover provided by their insurance.  It set me to musing about something I had read about an earthquake that had affected Canterbury  in the 19th century.  I can't find reference to it in any of the places I thought I had read it now.

What I thought I read was that in the 1800s Christchurch was hit by a mildly damaging earthquake, followed within a year by a much worse one which knocked the tip from the Cathedral Spire.  Either I dreamed it, and am more of a prophet than I thought... or it's in "The Brick Book" which I borrowed from the library to research things for my studies in construction, and which contains a section on masonry performance in earthquake conditions.

Anyway, enough about me.  Whether I dreamed it and am a prophet, or I read it and noted something about Canterbury geology which nobody else has bothered to bring up, It happened again today.  I felt it, waited ten minutes for the geonet site to update, texted a friend to say I hoped they were ok and then turned on the radio.

This is the earthquake we were all so thankful we didn't get last September - everyone was tucked safely in their beds at 4:30 that morning. This time the town was busy, and the workplaces relatively full.  This time people died.

I'm not the sort that feels my sympathetic comments mean much in the face of something like this, but here, if you like, are a few things that come to mind that we can still be thankful for over this event.

12:50pm is right smack back in the middle of the primary school lunch hour, so the little kiddies were all (comparatively) safe outside in the playground.  I heard a report from one of the school principals who'd been in communication with the other schools saying "they're all safe".

Our building code has, for a signifcant time now, enforced the inclusion of bracing elements against exactly this type of event in new buildings.  We don't always get it right, but it was heartening to see behind the footage of collapsed historic buildings (and one relatively new one I do admit) a number of newer buildings still largely intact, and therefore capable of allowing the occupants out safely.   We take the earthquake risk seriously when we build and it does pay off.

We saw on the TV something of the stoic kiwi I identify with - people calmly helping each other out and showing comfort and affection to the distaught with little of the staged hysterics the movies have taught us to expect.  We still just muck in and help each other.

Alright... that's all I can think of.  I watched the news this afternoon and seeing one of our most beautiful cities strewn with rubble for the second time in less than a year; seeing the cathedral fallen; seeing people milling, wearing a mixture of shock and their own blood; and hearing of a rising number of fatalities has the whisper of tears pressing around my eyes this evening.

My best wishes to all affected  and to their families,

The Gedle

5 comments:

  1. Such a tragedy and such a huge loss of life. I've been watching it on the telly too and the spire falling seemed such a symbol of a city brought to its knees.

    Interesting about your remembrance or dream about the spire in the 19th century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am following this on CNN. I have posted my thoughts on my blog. I suspect a connection with stranded whales and undersea earthquakes. I think the whales are trying to warn us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe it's happening just a few hours up the road. I think the explanation for my recollection is the mundane rather than the supernatural one Sue.

    Gwilym - Now that I've found your thoughts and read them (I'm sorry they sounded a little nutty in the three line reduction) you may have a point. Whale strandings happen reasonably frequently in these parts and I have to say I haven't noticed a correlation with LOCAL earthquakes, but everything to do with whales seems to be about long distances, and there is something special about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is mentioned as you said at my blog about the whales/earthquake connection on the Weather site you sent me the link for. We know for example that many Japanese keep goldfish at home because they believe the fish can predict earthquakes - when the fish start behaving in an erratic manner it's a signal that a tremor has been felt. Fish have a sensitive nerve down the side of the body - that's why, for instance, millions of sardines can all turn together without colliding with each other. I'm sure that whales who can dive to great depths are more sensitive to undersea movements of rock than goldfish in a fish tank or even sardines near the surfaces. It doen't take a great a leap of the imagination to visualize the panic ensuing from a nearby undersea tremor in a school of whales. There seem to be many whale strandings in the Australia NZ is the impression given by news reports. Perhaps large ice shelves breaking off the Antarctic is another factor which may unsettle the whales. Their behavious certainly worth more in depth (no pun intended!) research.
    -ps
    I shall put a link to your blog if that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Geddle, there was just now a 5.1 in sea at 2km depth and about 100mls sw of Hastings, keep an eye on the whales!

    ReplyDelete